-->

Trend N Gist

T'N'G is the No. 1 informative and entertaining blog. News, Entertainment, Sports news & E news, Lifestyle, Gossips, Gist, Mp3/video download, Quotes and More...

Tuesday 12 July 2016

Common Errors in English as a Foreign/Second Language



.      I didn’t came to school. (wrong)
I didn’t come to school. (Right)

2.      This is my first time of hearing/seeing this. (wrong)
This is the first time I have heard/seen this. (Right)


3.      I will get back at you. (Wrong, the person said this in reply to a caller on the end of the receiver) (To get back at someone means to retaliate for a wrong done to one).
I will get back to you. (Right)

4.      The people of Israelites. (Wrong)
The people of Israel. (Right)

5.       He have two pencils. (Wrong)
He has two pencils. (Right)

6.      Last week Thursday; next week Thursday. (Wrong)
Last Thursday/Next Thursday. (Right)

7.      I am sick since last Thursday. (Wrong)
I have been sick since last Thursday. (Right)

8.      I came with the bus; I came with feet. (Wrong)
I came by bus; I came on feet. (Right)

9.      Thank God for a brown new day. (Wrong)
Thank God for a bright new day. (Right)

10.  May your name be highly exhausted. (Wrong)
 May your name be highly exalted. (Right)

11.  Please lend me some money. (Wrong)
 Please borrow me some money. (Right)
 How much do you want me to lend you? (Right)

12.  The typhoon caused a lot of damages to the building. (Wrong)
 The typhoon caused a lot of damage to the building (Right)

13.  “The accident was the result of him driving too fast” (Wrong)

14.  “The accident was the result of his driving too fast” (Correct)

15.    This is one of the box that are empty. (Wrong)
   This is one of the boxes that are empty. (Correct)

16.   It is her. (wrong)/ It is she. (Right)

17.   It is us. (Wrong)/ It is we. (Right)

18.   It is him. (Wrong)/ It is he. (Right)

19.   He is an illiterate (Wrong)/ He is illiterate or He is an illiterate man. (Right)

20.  Chinua Achebe authored the book, There Was a Country. (Wrong)
 Chinua Achebe is the author of the book, There Was a Country. (Right)

21.  My waste is paining me. (Wrong)
 My waist hurts. (Right)

22. Thank God for spearing my life. (Wrong)
Thank God for sparing my life. (Right)

23.  He takes great pride from his son’s achievements. (Wrong)
 He takes great pride in his son’s achievements. (Right)

24.  My uncle and aunt is working in the same office. (Wrong)
 My uncle and aunt are working in the same office. (Right)

25.  Ada, together with Obi, are here. ( Wrong)
 Ada, together with Obiano, is here. (Right)
26.  I am not hearing you. (Wrong)
 I can’t hear you. (Right)

No comments:

Post a Comment