-->

Trend N Gist

T'N'G is the No. 1 informative and entertaining blog. News, Entertainment, Sports news & E news, Lifestyle, Gossips, Gist, Mp3/video download, Quotes and More...

Friday 24 July 2015

I Am Not A Racist – Yeni Kuti Opens Up On Her Only Daughter’s Marriage To A Foreigner

yeni and daughter wedding
A few weeks back, Afrobeat maestro, Fela’s first child, Yeni Kuti gave out her only daughter, Rolari Segun in a traditional marriage to Benedict Jacka, an English Man.  The family is now getting set for the white wedding taking place in London on August 15.
Yeni recently had an exclusive interview with ENCOMIUM where she revealed why she allowed her daughter marry a foreigner. Here are excerpts from the interview.

A couple of weeks back, you staged a superlative wedding for your daughter, Rolari.  How do you feel about the event?

I am very happy.  I am happy it was a resounding success.  I thought it was important to have a traditional engagement before any other thing.  I thank all the people who assisted me in making it a reality.  I’m exceptionally grateful for all they did for me.  I just can’t thank them enough.

How does it feel giving your daughter’s hand in marriage to a foreigner?


I am not a racist.  I look at all people as equal.  That is who she fell in love with.  That is who she loved to marry.  Her happiness is paramount to me.  I am not after my own happiness, but hers.  That is who makes her happy.  I don’t see colour.

When your daughter brought Benedict home for the first time, what was your reaction?

I met him in England.  That was last year.  I wanted to get to know him, tell him how I felt about my daughter.  I didn’t want anybody who is not serious to be around her. I don’t want anybody to hurt her.  By all indications, he’s a nice boy to me.  He came in December to ask for her hand in marriage.  At that time, I told them it was no problem, but they have to do the traditional marriage.  They accepted and came for it.

Would you have been happier if Rolari had married a Nigerian?

It will not make a difference.  Like I said, her happiness is my happiness.  Whatever she wants is what I will accept as long as she brings a human being.  I am very okay with her choice.

Now that your daughter is married, what are the things you will tell her from your wealth of experience?


She should not allow any in-law or relative to intrude into their business.  They shouldn’t take their problem to any family member even me or her husband’s parents.  They should solve their problems internally.  Communication is the key to any long lasting relationship.  If they can communicate well, it will help their relationship.  Once they allow external influence, it will affect their relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment